WAFLT Conference 2017
November 2-4, 2017
Reach Beyond the Horizon:
Maximizing effective language teaching and cultivating enhanced student proficiency.
Radisson Paper Valley Hotel, Appleton, Wisconsin
November 2- 4, 2017
Download our Conference App
Thursday Pre-Conference Workshop:
Thursday, November 2, 2017
10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Moving Along the Road to Proficiency: Where Do We Need to Go? How Do We Get There?
Presenters: Helena Curtain, Associate Professor (Emerita), UW-Milwaukee, and Jessica Bradley, Carol Hartmann, and Theresa Kruschke-Alfonso, Teachers at Greendale Schools (Recipients of the 2016 Donna Clementi Blue Ribbon School Award for Excellence in World Language Programs)
While the ACTFL Proficiency Guidelines measure what a language learner can do, world language educators realize the path to proficiency is different for everyone. What can we, as educators, do to guide students to reach higher proficiency levels? This WAFLT Pre-Conference workshop digs deeper into how to design a quality language program as well as how to create thematic units to help our students find success on their personal road to proficiency.
Schools and school districts with highly effective world language programs include four components in their planning and implementation. These programs:
- a) set proficiency targets for each grade level and/or each course in the program,
- b) design learning pathways and curriculum that will help students meet those targets,
- c) assess both internally and externally to ensure that the targets are being met, and finally,
- d) analyze the resulting assessment data with the goal of improving learning.
This pre-conference workshop will touch on each of these four components. Participants will focus primarily on how to create and use thematic units as the learning pathway to support students in developing proficiency. The Greendale staff will share their own progress with participants, including sample units. Participants will examine where their own language program is on the road to proficiency, and will have guided work time to develop products such as implementation plans and/or thematic units.
Friday’s Keynote Speaker:
2014 Central States Teacher of the Year Carrie Toth believes that of all the people roaming this vast earth, World Language teachers have special talents to take students beyond the horizon, into far-away places and cultures. Carrie Toth has ventured not only to seek those horizons out in the world with her students, but also to embrace the change within that is necessary as educators who seek professional growth. As teachers, let’s always keep taking steps toward this place of change and growth no matter how many years we have been on the path! Carrie will also be presenting a Friday morning workshop “Looking Forward, Planning Backward” in which she will detail how to use backward design to develop culturally rich units that will move students along the path to proficiency.
Consider attending. . .
- The informal orientation meeting for first-time conference attendees and new teachers Friday morning at 7:45am in Salon D.
- Exciting Friday Morning workshops.
- Engaging Saturday technology sessions.
- The Thursday evening reception in the Lawrence Room at 8:00, a great way to reconnect with colleagues and to meet new friends.
- The Friday luncheon featuring recognizing the student winners of WAFLT Discover Languages Student Postcard and video contests.
- The Friday Evening Awards Ceremony honoring Distinguished Language Educator Cathy Stresing and the Keynote Address with Carrie Toth.
- Become a WAFLT Webizens. Collaborate, Connect & Converse with colleagues who are integrating technology. Get new ideas and problem solve in this informal social starting at 9:30pm Friday in Intermezzo.
- The Saturday morning WAFLT Business Meeting including a complimentary continental breakfast.
Conference Registration Fees:
- Regular Member – $45.00
- Retired or Student Member – $30.00
- Non-member – $80.00
- Saturday Only Member – $35.00
- Saturday Only Non-Member – $55.00
On-site Registration (Friday and/or Saturday) $10 extra
Optional Ticketed Events:
- Thursday Workshop (includes registration, breaks, & lunch) – Member $45.00, Non-Member $55.00
- Friday Workshops – $20.00
- Saturday A.M. Technology Sessions $10.00
- Saturday P.M. Technology Sessions – $10.00
ATTENTION NEW TEACHERS!!!
WAFLT New Teacher Scholarships are designed to help teachers new to the profession attend their first professional conference. Applicants must be in their first, second, or third year of teaching and have a current WAFLT membership. Scholarships will be awarded to the first 10 qualifying teachers. Scholarships will include registration to the WAFLT conference and one free luncheon ticket. Click here for an application. Applicants must first join WAFLT.
- Regular Member – 1 Year – $30.00
- Regular Member – 3 Years – $80.00
- Retired or Student Member – 1 Year – $25.00
- Retired Member – 3 Years – $65.00
- Lifetime – $600
ON SITE REGISTRATION OPENS 6:30PM THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 2!
- Whether mailing in your payment or paying by credit card, begin your registration online!
- Create YOUR OWN login at waflt.org if you don’t already have one.
- Complete YOUR OWN registration form and choose Mail-in Payment or Credit Card after submitting your initial completed selections.
- Print receipt at end of registration to send in with payments.
- Send payments to:
P.O. Box 1493
Appleton, WI 54912
- Send payments to:
- Be sure to carefully read dates and times, registration instructions and note coding of workshops indicating which days they are offered and pricing.
- Download the Conference App to help you manage your workshop and session selections.
- Workshops and sessions are correlated to the PI34 standards (in brackets following the session title). View the Standards to learn more.
- Scholarships for Tomorrow’s Teachers – Are you enrolled in a teacher education program? Are you a cooperating teacher or a methods teacher? Check out the scholarships for teachers-in-training to attend WAFLT. For more information, visit our “Grants and Scholarships” page and download an application. (Deadline: September 25!)
- Conference refund requests must be made in writing by November 30, 2017, and sent to WAFLT, P.O. Box 1493, Appleton, WI 54912.
- A service charge of $20.00 is applied to all refunds.
- No refunds for meals are possible after October 23, 2017.
- Membership Dues and Workshop Fees are nonrefundable.
Radisson Paper Valley Hotel
333 W. College Avenue, Appleton WI
(920) 733-8000 or 800-242-3499
Make your hotel reservations directly with the Radisson Paper Valley.
Deadline: October 4
|Reservation Code||Cancellation Policy||Single||Double||Triple||Quad|
|WAFLT||24 hrs. prior to arrival date||$98||$108||$118||$128|
Washington Street Ramp (entrances on Washington or Division)and Midtown Ramp (entrances on Superior, Appleton, and Lawrence Streets) have skywalks to the Paper Valley Hotel. Parking fees are assessed based on time spent in the garage and are paid upon exiting the ramps. The maximum cost is $5.00 per 24 hours.
Download our Conference App