Empowering 21st century learners to develop their cultural understandings, cross-curricular literacy, and communication
Radisson Paper Valley Hotel, Appleton, Wisconsin
November 3- 5, 2016
Thursday Pre-Conference Workshop:
Thursday, November 3, 2016
10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Are You On The Path To Proficiency?
Presenter: Thomas Sauer
Proficiency guidelines, standards, can-do statements, 21st century skills, core practices, performance assessments, student growth goals … feeling a little overwhelmed? Journey down the path to proficiency with your colleagues to see how changing the WHAT in our classes will also change the HOW and can help you create lesson plans that will help learners develop ownership in a new language.
It’s Not What the Teacher Knows, but What the Teacher Does
Presenter: Thomas Sauer
Friday Afternoon Keynote Speaker – We are delighted to welcome Thomas Sauer, educational entrepreneur and founder of LearningShifts as he presents his keynote address It’s Not What the Teacher Knows, but What the Teacher Does.
Consider attending. . .
- The informal orientation meeting for first-time conference attendees and new teachers Friday morning at 7:45am in Salon D.
- Exciting Friday Morning workshops.
- Engaging Saturday technology sessions.
- The Thursday evening reception in the Lawrence Room at 8:30, a great way to reconnect with colleagues and to meet new friends.
- The Friday luncheon featuring recognizing the student winners of WAFLT Discover Languages Student Postcard and video contests.
- The Friday Evening Awards Ceremony honoring Distinguished Language Educator Linda Havas and featuring the Keynote Address with Thomas Sauer.
- Become a WAFLT Webizens. Collaborate, Connect & Converse with colleagues who are integrating technology. Get new ideas and problem solve in this informal social starting at 9:30pm Friday in Intermezzo.
- The Saturday morning WAFLT Business Meeting including a complimentary continental breakfast.
- The Saturday luncheon honoring recipients of the Future Language Teacher Award, Recognition of Merit, Certificates of Professional Service, and the Donna Clementi Blue Ribbon Award of Excellence in World Language Programs.
Conference Registration Fees:
- Regular Member – $45.00
- Retired or Student Member – $30.00
- Non-member – $80.00
- Saturday Only Member – $35.00
- Saturday Only Non-Member – $55.00
On-site Registration (Friday and/or Saturday) $10 extra
Check out this rare opportunity: PDP Reviewer Training Available Friday Morning!!!
Optional Ticketed Events:
- Thursday Workshop (includes registration, breaks, & lunch) – Member $45.00, Non-Member $55.00
- Friday Workshops – $20.00
- Saturday A.M. Technology Sessions $10.00
- Saturday P.M. Technology Sessions – $10.00
ATTENTION NEW TEACHERS!!!
WAFLT New Teacher Scholarships are designed to help teachers new to the profession attend their first professional conference. Applicants must be in their first, second, or third year of teaching and have a current WAFLT membership. Scholarships will be awarded to the first 10 qualifying teachers. Scholarships will include registration to the WAFLT conference and one free luncheon ticket. Click here for an application. Applicants must first join WAFLT.
- Regular Member – 1 Year – $30.00
- Regular Member – 3 Years – $80.00
- Retired or Student Member – 1 Year – $25.00
- Retired Member – 3 Years – $65.00
- Lifetime – $500
ON SITE REGISTRATION OPENS 6:30PM THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 3!!
- Whether mailing in your payment or paying by credit card, begin your registration online!
- Create YOUR OWN login at waflt.org if you don’t already have one.
- Complete YOUR OWN registration form and choose Mail-in Payment or Credit Card after submitting your initial completed selections.
- Print receipt at end of registration to send in with payments.
- Send payments to:
P.O. Box 1493
Appleton, WI 54912
- Send payments to:
- Be sure to carefully read dates and times, registration instructions and note coding of workshops indicating which days they are offered and pricing.
- Download a conference planning guide.
to help you manage your workshop and session selections.
- Workshops and sessions are correlated to the PI34 standards (in brackets following the session title). View the Standards to learn more.
- Scholarships for Tomorrow’s Teachers – Are you enrolled in a teacher education program? Are you a cooperating teacher or a methods teacher? Check out the scholarships for teachers-in-training to attend WAFLT. For more information, visit our “Grants and Scholarships” page and download an application. (Deadline: September 25!)
- Conference refund requests must be made in writing by November 30, 2016, and sent to WAFLT, P.O. Box 1493, Appleton, WI 54912.
- A service charge of $20.00 is applied to all refunds.
- No refunds for meals are possible after October 23, 2016.
- Membership Dues and Workshop Fees are nonrefundable.
Radisson Paper Valley Hotel
333 W. College Avenue, Appleton WI
(920) 733-8000 or 800-242-3499
WAFLT Block of Rooms
Make your hotel reservations directly with the Radisson Paper Valley.
Deadline: October 5.
|Reservation Code||Cancellation Policy||Single||Double||Triple||Quad|
|WAFLT||24 hrs. prior to arrival date||$98||$108||$118||$128|
Washington Street Ramp (entrances on Washington or Division)and Midtown Ramp (entrances on Superior, Appleton, and Lawrence Streets) have skywalks to the Paper Valley Hotel. Parking fees are assessed based on time spent in the garage and are paid upon exiting the ramps. The maximum cost is $5.00 per 24 hours.